Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Fragments: Oh, Shoot!

Okay, I am exhausted. But strangely peaceful and contented too.



I got so many terrific comments on my last post asking to see the paintings (thank you, everyone), I decided to shoot them and post them. (You'll just have to ignore the fact that most of them are not QUITE finished. And one is barely started.) But I hope you like them.








The top one is the one that's just begun (but I love all the swirly, watery stuff that's happening so far). If you look closely you can see what's eventually going to be a small fish and a giant sea turtle.

The ones on the left are paintings I worked on in my portrait class. They are: 1. Portrait of Ruth; 2. Lounging at Laguna; 3. Jeremiah and Sawyer ; and 4. Sleeping Princess.

The class was motivating and inspiring all week long, and today it became strangely gratifying. The other students in the class started coming to me for help and suggestions when it took the teacher too long to get to them. They also started to photograph my work in step-by-step stages. And yesterday the Society asked if my dad and I would be willing to team-teach a 3-day workshop for them next Spring. I expected NONE of that!






Last are the two that were accepted into the most recent Utah Watercolor Society show (runs through November 7 at the Finch Lane Gallery). The bottom one won a Juror's Award.





Here is my other favorite quote from Ted Nuttall:
"Some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen are people."
(As a landscape painter, that helped me approach figurative painting with fresh eyes.)

























And since we're talking about shooting, I highly recommend you check out this hilarious video from Gunfighter today. You can't believe what he shot!
(Apparently some kids never outgrow the need to blow things up.)
And to go with that, here's an actual quote from one of my kids last week:
"Mom, Do you have any hard drives we can smash?"
(Turns out they were making a video...but STILL...)

I was also thrilled to come home and see that THIS (pardon the link but I cannot bear to SHOOT one more thing! ) had arrived in the mail from the contest I won over at Temporary?Insanity. (Thanks, Kim. Thanks, Erin) I agree it is even better in real life than it is on screen. I love it!
______________
Friday Fragments?
. . . . .

Friday Fragments is the brainchild of Mrs4444 over at Half Past Kissin' Time.

20 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

You are just so talented, lady! I'm so in love with your work, I really am.

I love all of them!

So exciting about the workshop invitation too. I'm sure you're just the BEST teacher. I wish I lived near you...

Happy weekend,
Heather

Kazzy said...

I love the top work. At first I thought it was a bird through a frosted window but I can see the makings of what you said. You are brilliant at your art, and I feel lucky to live close enough to drive over and see some of it! Nice job on the workshop invite too!

breckster said...

lovely! Glad you had extra uplift!

Luann said...

Oh, these are just stunning! I can completely see where you are headed with the top painting, but I also love the current abstract quality it has. I've heard so many good things about your talent, I'm glad you posted this so I could see some of your work. Someday I want to get a peek at one of the real live deals!

Melanie Jacobson said...

These are insanely beautiful!

Mrs4444 said...

Wow. I cannot imagine what it would feel like to have such a gift! Incredible. My fave is the little girl lying on the floor(?) So glad you shared these; thanks.

LisAway said...

WOW!! I can't believe how talented you are! I'm a huge fan of watercolor (not that I know anything about it, I just love how they look) and yours are amazing!

Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

Cari Banning said...

Stop! Stop! Stop! on the top one. :)

I've missed you this week, but Oh! the beautiful things you were working on! I'm so happy for you I can't even stand it!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Wow. You are so talented. I love all these paintings even the unfinished one. Actually the unfinished one was the most intriguing to me. My favorite ones, however, were the people ones, the boy and the sleeping princess. I know squat about painting but I know what I like. I like beautiful. And your works are beautiful.

Lisa Johnson said...

I'm over here via Gunfighter. Your work is beautiful! ; )

Jessica Stock said...

I LOVE it! Every one! Thanks so much for sharing, and so glad for you for the feedback from your workshop! You deserve it.

*MARY* said...

Wow, beautiful.

Heidi said...

Oh . . my . . .heavens! These are just gorgeous!! How wonderful that you are starting to some of the recognition you deserve. I am so glad you posted these!

Dedee said...

Those are beautiful! Where is that gallery? I want to come and see them in real life.

I love art.

I'm glad you had a good time at the workshop. You deserve the attention you are getting!

Anonymous said...

I stand in awe of people like you who are able to create beauty.

Your watercolors are fantastic.

...and thank's for linking my little video.

GF

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I just got some of this fabulous art in the mail and I am beyond thrilled! What beautiful creations...your talent has me feeling a little awed, to be honest!

Brillig said...

See, it's posts like these that make me think, "wow. She's so cool. Why is she friends with utterly talentless ME?"

Seriously. These are fantastic. I'm particularly fond of the sea turtle one. Gorgeous.

I love that the students turned to you for instruction. Hahaha. That's so cool. YOU are so cool.

Brillig said...

(And sorry it's taken me, like, a million years to get to this post. I actually was able to see the pics on my phone, but couldn't post a comment.)

charrette said...

Thank you, everyone, for the terrific feedback!

Eowyn asked about the gallery, so for anyone within driving distance to Salt Lake, here are the details:
The Finch Lane Gallery is part of The Art Barn in Reservoir Park
54 Finch Lane (1325 East 100 South)
So if you're in Salt Lake, you head toward First South and 13th East.
It's a tiny little street (that looks more like an alley) just east of 13th East, on your left.
Gallery hours are M-F 8 to 5, and their phone # is 801-596-5000.

And Mrs.4444 emailed to ask if I sell anything online. I haven't posted these yet -- you're the first to see them -- but the rest of my work is on display on my online gallery, here: http://www.parkinx.com/fineart/index.html

Aquaspce said...

you do these paintings yourself? I'm truly amazed. You are fantastically awesome.
Just so you know.