Wednesday, May 9, 2018

The Embarrassing -- but true -- Story of What Happened the First Time I Opened This Book

I have been following this blog for quite a while, and I have never prepared anything from Jenn that we didn’t absolutely love. I pre-ordered her cookbook as soon as she announced it. This was months ago, and I have been very impatiently awaiting its arrival. The Amazon box finally came, (thank you, Amazon!) and I promptly ran off to teach a class and forgot about it. 

[This never happens. Amazon boxes are like Christmas — I can’t wait to tear open the packages and see what’s inside — even if I only ordered it two days ago! But for some reason this package got swept aside and tucked in a dark corner of the basement.]

Long story short — Mother’s Day is approaching, and I started wondering what happened to my book. And then I remembered that abandoned box in the basement (and since we’re not at the airport, I felt completely fine about opening it.)

First of all, I was impressed with the heft. This is no flimsy leaflet. It is more than 300 pages, beautifully bound in a hard cover and dust jacket. It feels SIGNIFICANT. 

I immediately opened it up and started thumbing through the pages. As fate would have it, I landed on Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding. Okay, forget about the Mother’s Day Brunch. Can I pease just have this right now?!?

There was beautiful photography throughout. Dozens of amazing-looking recipes I can’t wait to try. And a few favorites from her blog I’ve already been enjoying. The book includes fun, chatty side notes about her former job, her kids, and her kitchen. I noticed there were official looking stamps on certain pages, marking each as a “recipe tester favorite.”  She includes her "Pro Tips" in the margins. Likewise, “Sourcing Savvy” and "Heads-up" advice.

But what really just kept me spellbound was the photos and their accompanying recipes:
Blueberry Scones with Tart Lemon Glaze. Pan-seared halibut with cherry tomatoes & basil. Cauliflower puree with thyme. Toffee Almond Sandies. Fiery Roasted Tomato Soup. Thai Crunch Salad with peanut dressing. Baja Fish Tacos. Red, White, and Blue summer berry trifle. Steak Au Poivre. Curried Roasted Carrots. Classic Chocolate Lover’s Birthday Cake. They all look and sound amazing!

Now for the embarrassing part: The next thing I knew I was shocked to see a little string of saliva escape my mouth and land on my blouse. That’s right. I drooled. Not just figuratively. I did the deed. Oh, my. (T.M.I.) I guess the cookbook is just that good. 

I raced upstairs and made Blueberry Scones with Tart Lemon Glaze before my husband left for work. They were as delicious as promised. (Thanks, in part, to the 2/3 cup of cream.) The lemon zest in the glaze is a perfect addition. I may have eaten more than one two. Someone please save me from my baking addiction!


The last time I reviewed a cookbook here was way back in, oh, 2009! Since then I have bought, perused, and cooked from at least a dozen cookbooks (probably more.) And exactly zero of them have made me drool. Until today. Enjoy!  If it makes you drool, you don't have to tell anyone.


No comments: