Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back-to-school Jitters




Tomorrow is the first day of school. But not for the kids. For me.
The university's fall semester starts tomorrow, and come 8 a.m. I'll have a roomful of students waiting for me. And then another.

I've dusted off the old syllabus, tweaked it, updated it. Honed the materials list down to minimalist perfection (read: sensitive to a college student's budget). And now all I have to do is show up. And somehow wow them into sticking it out for a semester. With me.

I love the fall energy, the newness, the pregnant anticipation of learning and growth and creativity. I love working with a diverse group of students who share one thing in common: An eagerness to learn. I love seeing the light come on and the amazing art they create once it does.

So why exactly do I feel the back-to-school jitters? I think it must be hard-wired into my system, part of the DNA. My dad (who was a beloved professor for over 30 years) confessed that he still sometimes has nightmares about waking up late and missing a final. (That is some serious stress.) My recurring school nightmares are usually about finding out at the end of the semester that I was registered for some random class I never attended. Funny that that stuff remains in our sub-conscious after all these years.

There's something else making me feel a little jitterish about going back to school. Blogging. I started this blog on a whim a few months ago, at the end of Spring Semester. And I've been blogging away all summer long to my heart's content. Loving it far more than I thought I would. Meeting people I never imagined, forming friendships that run pretty deep for being so short-lived. So now what?

I'm not sure how much time for this my school schedule will allow. I might have to post less frequently. I might even disappear for awhile. But not entirely. I'm too attached to you now.

Speaking of becoming attached, my friend Heather of the EO (see? I think of you as my friend, and we've never even met and probably never will) handed me a little award yesterday. Heather is a great writer and an even better thinker, and her blog is one of my favorites. So that's an honor coming from her. (Thank you, Heather!) I think the rule is you're supposed to pass it on to seven others. But here's the deal: I only read about seven blogs. :) So if you're one of the lucky few I read and comment on, consider yourself awarded. Really. You can even put up the little button if it makes you happy. :)



And then there's the Blogger's Annex, where they're putting up one of my recent posts...another honor. The Annex has become another daily addiction, perusing the best of bloglandia. I even love the people who comment there!

So I'm not saying goodbye. Not at all. Just maybe slowing down for awhile.
--Or maybe I won't be able to stand it and I'll be back here tomorrow. Who knows?

12 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

You're too kind, lady. And what do you mean we'll probably never meet!? You never know, it just may happen one day. I sure would love it.
Happy back to school! I'm a bit jealous, I have to say- I love new beginnings.
And congrats on the much deserved Annex post- it's definitely one of my favorites in all of the blogosphere.

breckster said...

I would love to take a class from you! I took an art class every semester, and miss it like crazy...because I can't seem to find the time it I don't have an assignment. :)

Your blog is inspiring, and such a nice visit. I hope that the posts continue!

Brillig said...

First of all, you're going to be BRILLIANT, of course. The jitters are just the icing on the cake. :-D

Secondly, I'm betting you'll be back here tomorrow... Haha. At least I'm HOPING you will be!

Good luck today... not that you need it.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I hate to be so selfish, but I hope you can't stand to be away for long. I already have mild withdrawal symptoms from your holiday, after all.

I will pout a bit, but I'll try to pout silently.

And as I often do, I suddenly wish I were off to school this fall. I miss it.

Dedee said...

Wait, aren't we having lunch some time in the near future?

I'm planning on it, you know.

Can I come take a class from you?

Kazzy said...

Best of Luck, and see you Friday (7 pm?), when we will discuss your supposed cutting back. Cough cough.

Jessica Stock said...

You're an art professor! How cool and wonderful! I hope you have a wonderful first day of school! If you don't have time to blog you could always post your lesson plans, I'd love to take an art class from you!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

You're an Art professor. How cool is that! I've always wanted to take art lessons. Please don't stay away too long. Blog less if you have to, but please blog. You know you are one of my favorites, and I only have a few. And good luck on your first day of school. You'll be great. I bet you're one of the popular professors.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Only seven, huh? Then I AM honored, because as you know, I consider you quite briliant! :) As a teacher of middle school boys with emotional behavioral disabilities, I must ask: What is that "eagerness to learn" thing you mentioned????? JK Enjoy this happy season for you, and don't worry; I'll patiently await any posts I can get from you :)

Melanie Jacobson said...

My mom was an art teacher. It kind of skipped a generation (unless I can claim painting with words?) but I have great memories of being in her classroom and all the great smells and stains. I bet you're an awesome teacher.

Brillig said...

Hey, didn't there used to be another post here?

;-)

Luisa Perkins said...

Have a wonderful semester!