Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Come-As-You-Are Party: Four Horizontal Surfaces









These photos are actually part of a game I'm concocting as a guest blogger on my friend's site, Twas Brillig. You can link there for the rules of the game and play along. (And while you're there, read some of her posts. She is wise, witty and original. She's the one who got me interested in blogging to begin with.)

Right now I'm re-reading a favorite book, The Ladies Auxiliary, and stumbled across this quote that seemed very a propos: "A person's house is like a photograph of themselves."
So here's my come-as-you-are photo compilation (more like a play in four acts): Four Favorite Horizontal Surfaces. A self-portrait.

1. My nightstand. I can't possibly be reading all those books at once. Or can I? Most telling is the one I just added: The Disorganized Mind. :)
2. Upper left corner of my drawing table/desk. Symbols of matter unorganized, creative projects yet to come to fruition. Work in progress.
3. Makeshift game cupboard (some essentials we moved upstairs while we remodel the basement). Note prominence of Scrabble®.
4. My garden. Never mind the scary weeds on the left. This is a living palette that greets me with joy. The Foxgloves (my symbol for perpetually over-crowding my yard and my life) are now more in proportion to the rest of the garden. --Ah, but that's another post!

8 comments:

Karlene said...

I would say it looks just like mine but mine is so much worse. It includes cups and candy wrappers.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

This made me grin hugely. My nightstand looks very similar! Will have my own post up soonly.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing! You are the Best! XO Hol

Brillig said...

I love love LOVE these! The nightstand-- oh yes, I totally understand! The game shelf? How cool is that? I love that you have the European version of Ticket To Ride (I have the American one, and oh how I mourned when I realized I could have bought the European one)! And your yard is so marvelous. Just ask Isaac...

Cari Banning said...

I notice your paperback scriptures are on the top of the pile...nice inadvertent statement of priority, despite the, ahem, chaos &/or foxgloves.

My nightstand also has Ruby's books, diapers, dental floss and dust (on some of the books...) Oh, and hair bands. And crossword puzzles.

Allison said...

Makes me feel at home! I miss hanging out at your house all the time..

Allison said...

My nightstand doesn't have quite as many books, but there are a lot of hairbands, a flash drive, three alarm clocks (hey, I teach 8th grade!), Sudoku galore, and.. lubricant. C'mon. You knew that was coming.

Korie said...

ehm, I took a picture of myself, since, well that's how I am. Good idea!